Oliveri

Oliveri is not only famous for its clear waters and as a vacation spot: soils places are also synonymous with culture and history.

Famous is the Castle. It ‘s the center around which so then went to form the village, inhabited almost entirely dapescatori specialized nellacattura tuna. He was with the Aragonese castle Ferrano de Abbellis from which in 1360, for grants of kings came to Frederick III of Aragon Vinciguerra cousin Frederick himself.

Enclosed by a large wooded park, which almost hides it, it appears as a mysterious house that has hidden some kind of sinister events. But perhaps his story is rather clear and serene as though, over the centuries, something dark happened within its walls, nothing there has perpetuated the memory.

Remembered by Edrisi the time of the Norman era in which it was called Liviri, it was the center around which so then went to form the village, almost entirely inhabited by fishermen specialize in catching tuna.

He was with the Aragonese castle Ferrano de Abbellis from which in 1360, for grants of kings came to Frederick III of Aragon Vinciguerra cousin Frederick himself.

At the time he was lord of kings Martino Raimondo de Xamer who owned it together with the underlying trap (1398). The 1414 kings Ferdinand ratified an exchange, in the year 1400, when the castle was passed to Frederick Spadafora. To these succeeded Perrono Gioieni to whose family he remained until about 1600, an era in which it was sold to La Grua. Later owned by the family Zappino was sold by that Joseph Accordino (1693). At the time he was lord of kings Martino Raimondo de Xamer who owned it together with the underlying trap (1398). The 1414 kings Ferdinand ratified an exchange, in the year 1400, when the castle was  passed to Frederick Spadafora. To these succeeded Perrono Gioieni to whose family he remained until about 1600, an era in which it was sold to La Grua. Later owned by the family Zappino was sold by that Joseph Accordino (1693).

In 1724 it was bought by Louis Paratore Basilotta Prince of Patti and after a few steps hereditary, the 1803 became the property of Gaetano D’Amico Paratore Prince of Patti. From his castle and title passed to his sister Eleanor and brother Domenico Merlo to this, that, on about 1900, left the castle to his daughter Elena from whom he inherited the great-granddaughter and adopted daughter, Caterina Martorana Bonaccorsi, the current owner, while the title by his daughter eldest daughter of Domenico Merlo, Marianna, came to her nephew Domenico Bonaccorsi general, the current Prince of Patti.

The castle on top of a low hill, not far from the beach of the Tyrrhenian Sea, is dominated by the very high promontory of Tindari (at the base of the sea forms small, delightful coves always changing) on which stands the famous shrine of the miraculous “Black Madonna” venerated in throughout the island and whose ancient legends still captivate the popular imagination.

According to Godfrey of Viterbo Oliveri’s name comes from one of the captains of Charlemagne called Oliverio, which would have landed in the nearby places.